Just Believe

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've had good reasons. I've been going through something extremely difficult, but that is not what I am here to write about. Someday I might, but it's just too raw at this point. What I do want share is the "beautiful thing" that helped me get through the worst of it and make it to the other side in one piece.

It was something seemingly small, one word, spoken by my husband. I was worrying, questioning, crying and just being a big mess. Somehow through all that noise, what he said instantly struck a chord in me, almost stopping me in my tracks. He told me, "Just believe".

I don't know how or why this one word had such an enormous impact on me, but the moment it was spoken, I felt a weight lift off of me.

This is not a word I take lightly coming from him. He is not a "believer" of many things. He just didn't grow up that way. I, on the other hand, grew up in a very believing household, surrounded by a culture of belief that shook me, in a very real way, and often in a very wrong way, to the point of fear. It wasn't until I was in high school that I started to question the truth of all that I was taught and tried to make my own sense of what I felt in my heart to be true. I still question often and at times don't know for sure what to believe. But in my deepest core and when I am at my best, I believe in a higher power and love as the most powerful force and in good winning and in the greater purpose of it all, and all that mushy dreamy stuff. I had almost forgotten how to believe, and the nudge, coming from someone who is so practical, was what I needed.

The word "believe" has so much power in both a negative and positive direction. It can bring forth great fear, as I experienced when I was young.  It can cause controversy, even war, pitting people against each other for differences of opinion.  It can serve an evil purpose, as in, hatred for others for what they do or don't believe. At the very least, it can be mistaken for utter stupidity, if someone else doesn't understand your point of view.

On the other hand, the amazing side of belief is that no one can take it away from you. It is yours to keep if you wish. It can fill you with immense hope if you choose to partake in it. It can help you get through the difficulties and pain of life knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that death is not the end of a soul, etc. Some people even say that whatever you consistently believe yourself to be will eventually come true.

But in order for "it" to do its job, you have to make the first move. You have to be the one to start believing. And then you have to keep believing, which can at times take effort and self-reminders and persistence. But there are times, perhaps even brief moments, when it feels so effortless, when you have no doubt. Those are the sweet spots.

Whatever you are going through, try to find something to believe and just trust that it is true. It could potentially transform the way you experience life and all its craziness. Maybe it's something you already believed, but have forgotten or have begun to doubt. Maybe it's the thought that you can achieve your goal, even if it seems so far out of reach. Heck, believe in unicorns if that is what helps you.

What I've chosen to believe recently (and I have to keep working on this daily) is that there is a purpose for this experience. Something good, perhaps even beautiful, will come out of this pain. It is going to get better and good things are coming, and also a few other more personal beliefs that give me comfort. More importantly I believe that I don't have to worry or despair, because in the end, no matter what happens, I'm going to be alright. And no one can take that from me.

Because that is what I choose to believe.

And since it is my favorite season, I am surrounded by the loving reminders that nature provides. Autumn shows us that seasons always change and all things shall pass. The trees and their colorful, falling leaves also remind us of how beautiful it can be to let things go...














My fall leaf art therapy 😌 :




Lastly, if nothing else, believing in something other than what is obviously in front of you makes life way more bearable, and more sweet, and that, in my opinion is worth it.

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." ~Ronald Dahl













Comments

AROSE24 said…
Beautiful. Just like you, my dear friend.
lululonestar said…
This made me weep. It's so beautiful. I love you.
Unknown said…
@Amanda-thank you for your kind words, my friend. You inspire me often with your strength.

@Laura-thank you for all the support. I love you too.
Mom said…
What an especially beautiful post. I am so glad to see you working through this challenging time with such honesty and grace. God never promised us that we would not have trials, but that He would be with us through those trials to the end that we would be stronger, and be able to bring hope and comfort to others. You have no idea how many lives have been touched by your willingness to share your heart's journey. I am one proud Mamma! And your photos are spectacular! LOVE the leaf-foxes - so creative and cute!
P.S. Amanda, thank you for being such an example of strength and faith to others. I love you, and I continue to pray for you and Wes.
Unknown said…
Thanks Mom! Love you!

Popular Posts