Don't Stop Believing...

As I've gotten older, I've become more skeptical about many things in life. I don't like that part of growing up, but I guess it comes with the territory. I have fond memories of the magical feelings of being young and believing in possibilities of anything and everything. I remember thinking you could sit on the clouds and how comfortable it must be. Or going around inspecting and pushing on every wall inside every closet in our house, thinking I would find a secret door leading to another land. Or how Christmas time was the most enchanting time of the year. Not only because of the presents I might get, but because there was just something extraordinary in the air that I could feel with all of my senses.

Now that I'm a practical grown up, I only get occasional, brief glimpses of the magic, but they seem to slip away as quickly as they appear. So I can't help but have great appreciation when I see that sparkle of wonder that I remember so well in my son.

He had a little bit of birthday money left that he's been saving for something he really wants. While normally he would pick some junky toy that he'll lose interest in after a week, this time his pick was meaningful. He found this little bird messenger, a handmade item from Guatemala. On the little box it states that if you write your thoughts on the scroll, the bird will "send them soaring". He was so excited to take the bird out of it's little box. "The bird will send my message out while I sleep!" Last night he made a little nest for it out of some string and put his message in the scroll, laying the bird down for the evening.

I didn't ask what his message was. That's between him and universe.

bird messenger believe handmade guatemala



And today's photo, taken during my evening walk. These crepe myrtles are in bloom everywhere and they're so vibrant and lovely.



crepe myrtle trees pink

It's Friday night and I'm happy to be sitting on the couch with some popcorn and nowhere to be.

Comments

Popular Posts