Farewell to Summer-Part 2

September is a month of changes-a new season is arriving, there is a fresh, crisp feeling in the air, and a different shade of blue in the sky that I always notice around this time of year. It is the start of a new chapter for kids as they go back to school-a newer version of themselves, a little older, wiser, perhaps a little sassier, and definitely taller. I swear, my son woke up this morning and had grown 4 inches while he slept. And he's not the only one. There's a room full of giants in his 3rd grade classroom.

It's exciting, but it always feels somewhat bittersweet for me as well. I can't help but wonder if I appreciated enough or took full advantage of the season that has passed. This weekend I tried to savor as many moments of these last few days of the (non-official) summer as I could.

We made fresh squeezed lemonade, adding what little was left of the mint from our herb garden. There wasn't really enough of it to taste the mint, but it made us feel good that we were putting the last bits of it to some kind of use. It was really refreshing and delicious.


fresh squeezed lemonade summer

Lemons are so pretty too...


lemons citrus




cutting tomatoes fresh
The little man has been helping me to make pasta sauce from scratch for a while now. It is kind of a "fly by the seat of your pants" recipe, so it is a little different every time. But he knows the basics and can make most of it himself these days (with a little supervision), and is quite proud of being able to use a real knife to cut the tomatoes.



We had one of my favorite summer meals-pasta with the home made tomato sauce and salad, plus a glass of the cold, refreshing lemonade. There was a cool breeze blowing through the open windows. It was a very peaceful and savor-the-moment kind of lunch.


homemade pasta from scratch


We also decided to make it to the last one of our town's free outdoor summer concerts- I think the military band needs to recruit this poodle. He/she stood at attention the entire time. I was cracking up. 



military band poodle recruit
poodle dogs




A ride through the woods:



bike woods forest


The most humongous mushroom I've ever seen-it was as tall as his calf and the top was bigger than his hand!


white large giant mushroom



It was a nice weekend.

This morning I watched my son walk into school with a confidence that he certainly didn't acquire from me. (I recall feeling quite queasy on my first days of school.)  But he entered the building and greeted old friends and familiar adults like he's done this a million times before.

As the first glimpses of autumn are emerging, I have a feeling this is going to be a good season.


red leaves first glimpse autumn












Comments

Popular Posts