Challenge Yo Self!

There have been some rough moments this week-ongoing personal struggles that sometimes rear their head, people close to me that are going through difficulties, the weight of the larger issues of the world and disasters like hurricanes turning lives upside down. It makes me contemplate the age old question, why?

I don't know if there will ever be a clear answer. Still, I proceed with this challenge, and I find it comforting. Looking for the good is therapeutic. It brings hope and stillness to my soul.

My moments of good-

(Wednesday) A few months ago we came across an irresistible sale at our local craft store. Packets of buttons/beads that were normally 10 dollars were 25 cents each! Of course I have no real need for buttons, but they were so bright and colorful, and they beckoned to both of us. The little man and I had a ball looking through the bins, picking out various sizes and colors. We brought them home all excited, and a few days later they were stashed away in the closet with all the other forgotten items.

So since his school now has a no homework policy (yippee!), we have a little more time for silly tasks like organizing buttons. We pulled them out and mixed them all together in a container that we covered in stickers from our 'plethora of Trader Joe's' stickers' collection. Who knew sorting through small, plastic round things could be so much fun? We decided that we would make something out of them this week. You can see what we did under Friday (below).


colorful buttons






(Thursday)- I had to work this weekend, but the positive side of it is that I get to pick a day to take off during the week. And the best part is that I get to spend that day ALL TO MYSELF! I can't tell you how much that time alone means to me. I probably should have been productive and stuff, but I spent the better part of my day lounging around with this purr monster and I have no regrets.



cat lounging bed tabby



(Friday) Button pictures! Tacky glue, buttons/beads, and string...



button art pictures glue


I have always had a thing for hot air balloons. I think it stems from my younger years living in New Mexico. On Sundays there would be hot air balloons scattered all across the sky, dotting it with magnificent color. It was so enchanting. Of course I would never actually go up in one, since I have a fear of heights that seems to worsen as I get older, but I would gladly watch them all day.



button art hot air balloons


I made the mistake of not erasing the pencil markings before using glue, which made it so I couldn't erase them at all. Boo. So I tried to fix it by painting over them, which helped a little but it still looks messy in spots. Oh well, it was a fun time making it.

Little man's mountains, stream and flowers...


button art flowers mountains picture


It's so cheery!


We made a little dent in the button jar, so I think I can say it was money well spent. I guess I will need to find more button projects at some point. Perhaps we should have a special ceremony for ourselves if we use every last button.


(Saturday) Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to work I went.  At least my workplace is pretty quiet and leisurely on a Saturday. After work we went for an evening ride to the water.


bike bicycle sunlight bridge reeds


The clouds looked really cool above the horizon.


rocks river clouds


A feisty little crab-


crab pebbles river

Heading home...

bicycle evening sunlight woods



deer woods evening

I'm so glad that tomorrow is a day to sleep in.


Challenge yo self! Your challenge, should you choose to accept is to try looking for something beautiful in your day. Make a conscious effort to appreciate it. You don't have to take a photo. Take a mental picture if that is easier. But acknowledge it. Not that it will make your day perfect, but you may find it is just a tad bit sweeter than normal. If you take a photo, I would love to see it! Post in the comments, or on the facebook page here:  https://www.facebook.com/olivewild39/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Even if you didn't take a photo, tell me about it! Happy hunting!

Comments

Unknown said…
I absolutely LOVE those button pictures. They are so cool!
Unknown said…
Thanks Laura! We had so much fun doing them. :)

Popular Posts